[webkit-dev] Increasing the number of cross-platform/port expected results

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Wed Apr 21 15:47:30 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com>wrote:

> dumpAsText also turns off pixel results, which seems like a loss of useful
> testing. What's the plan there?

The hope is that the dumpRenderTree tests will be sufficient testing for
pixel results.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:

> I worry that making dumpAsText the default may lead to somewhat
> counter-intuitive tests being written. To echo what Maciej seemed to
> say earlier, you can write a rendertree test or a pixel test using
> vanilla HTML and CSS, but a text-only test almost by definition
> requires some amount of JS in the test. At which point, inserting a
> dumpAsText() call is no big deal and clearly indicates the intent.
>
> However, having to add DontDumpAsText() as the only script in the test
> seems a little silly.

I don't see why this is silly. Adding the following to an otherwise
HTML/CSS-only a test seems totally reasonable to me:
<script>
if (window.layoutTestController)
    window.layoutTestController.dumpRenderTree();
</script>

If we did this, we'd probably whitelist some whole directories to default to
dumpRenderTree though. Specifically, I'm thinking of external tests that
we'd like to modify as little as possible (e.g. CSS2.1). It would also allow
us to avoid modifying some external tests that we currently have modified to
be dumpAsText (e.g. the dom tests).

Ojan