[webkit-dev] [webkit meeting notes] build systems

Marc-Antoine Ruel maruel at chromium.org
Wed Apr 21 09:23:31 PDT 2010

2010/4/21 Kevin Ollivier <kevino at theolliviers.com>

> Hi Marc-Antoine,
>
> On Apr 18, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Marc-Antoine Ruel wrote:
>
> 2010/4/17 Kevin Ollivier <kevino at theolliviers.com>
>
>> Hi Marc-Antoine,
>>
>> On Apr 17, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Marc-Antoine Ruel wrote:
>>
>> Like this?
>> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/WebCore.gypi
>>
>> - It is currently not JSON compliant. It's in fact a python file but that
>> can be fixed: s/'/"/g and removing the extra commas *should* be
>> sufficient.

BTW, there is no way to make it JSON-compliant after all. Sorry for the
misleading comment.

> mac, qt, gtk, wx, symbian and even some JSC files are listed. I'm 100% sure
> the lists aren't complete and I'll need to fix them along the way,
> especially JSC stuff which *is* a show stopper.
>
> .gypi files are header files. They can be imported by other .gypi or a .gyp
> file. Each .gyp file will generate a .sln, .xcodeproj, Makefile or
> SConstruct, depending on the selected build system. Each "target" inside a
> .gyp will generate a .vcproj or .scons.
>
> The regex logic lives in inside "sources" entries inside a target. You can
> have a list of file names, 'include' or 'exclude' with an array of regexp.
> Please take a look at the very bottom of this file for an example:
> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/WebCore.gyp/WebCore.gyp
>

> May I ask why it is being done this way, that is, having one really large
> list of build files and using include / exclude regexs to trim the list?
> i.e. why is there not a WebCoreCommon.gypi, WebCoreWinCommon.gypi,
> WebCoreChromium.gypi, etc.? Are you guys using scripts to create
> WebCore.gypi?

We do that for chromium, it already to support different platforms so I
guess since there was already regexp done, these were simply reused. A good
question, cc'ing people more knowledgeable than me.

> Anyway, the fact that this file is actually Python (I had forgotten the
>> format was JSON-like rather than straight JSON) makes things even better, as
>> we only really need to handle export now, and not parse some import file
>> list. i.e. for WebKitTools/Scripts/update-sources-list.py,
>> getWebCoreFilesDict() basically becomes a very small script that execfile's
>> the gypi file, then we run whatever filtering mechanism on it (waf has a
>> list of ports we could use to do the filtering that I could probably move
>> into WebKitTools/Scripts, if we don't have a pre-made Chromium solution
>> here), and then passes the final source list along to
>> generateWebCoreSourcesGTKandQT to generate the sources / includes for those
>> platforms, and actually this solution should work for Android.mk and
>> possibly jam too, as their syntax looks largely similar. Then we'd add some
>> XML parsing code to grab the node for common file groups and update them for
>> the MSVC projects, and then I think that mostly leaves XCode, which I think
>> would be pretty similar in nature.
>>

> For MSVC and XCode, it makes more sense to use the native gyp support since
> it makes really clean projects. FYI, VS2010 is not supported for now.
>

> Yes, if all MSVC and XCode projects are planning to switch over anyway,
> it's probably not worth bothering with. Though if some choose not to, we
> could actually re-use the chunk of Gyp code that creates the file lists and
> just inject that into the project file.

Whatever works for people and is implemented.

--
M-A