[webkit-dev] Leak in UIWebView?

Thomas Hauk tom at shaggyfrog.com
Tue Apr 20 15:35:28 PDT 2010

I've posted this question to devforums.apple.com as well as to Stack
Overflow (go to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2557964/uiwebview-leak-can-someone-confirm
  to see it) and have not gotten any answer, so now I'm reaching out
to webkit-dev for some help.

I am developing an iPhone application that contains embedded HTML
resources. The following code leaks memory only on the device (at
least 75% of the time) when I try to create a NSURLRequest for an HTML
file in the application bundle. My base SDK is 3.1.2 (also tried with
3.1.3), and I'm running this on a first-gen iPod Touch running 3.1.3.
This does not leak in the Simulator. If I comment out the call to
loadRequest: all is well.

NSString* resourcePath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] resourcePath];
NSString* filePath = [[resourcePath
stringByAppendingPathComponent:@"html"]
                        stringByAppendingPathComponent:@"dummy.html"];
NSURL* url = [[NSURL alloc] initFileURLWithPath:filePath];
NSURLRequest* request = [NSURLRequest requestWithURL:url]; // leak!
[browserView loadRequest:request];
[url release];

I can reproduce this leak in a freshly-generated Window-based or
Navigation-based project, with essentially only the above code plus
the addition of a UIWebView object in the generated xib. The stack
trace for the leak seems to be entirely within the "Apple" side of
things. The HTML file can be as simple as a file with the word "test"
in it (i.e. it doesn't need to be valid HTML).

What am I doing wrong?

--
Thomas Hauk
Shaggy Frog Software