[webkit-dev] Implementing the sizes attribute of the link tag from HTML5

Aaron Boodman aa at chromium.org
Mon Apr 19 23:58:08 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Aaron Boodman <aa at chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what the path is for fetching favicons today. Does
>> WebCore just implicitly do it, or does it expose the information to
>> the host, who later may or may not make the request?
>
> Answering this is complicated by the fact that Chromium mostly uses a
> different codepath for all of this stuff than, say, Safari -- e.g. it
> bypasses the IconDatabase and pretty much all other classes/files called
> "IconXXX" entirely.

Yeah, I looked into this over the weekend, and -- shock! -- it turned
out to be a bigger change than I initially imagined. Since Chromium
has a different backend, that would mean implementing two sets of
changes.

Also, I think it would be wasteful to have WebKit download all linked
icons, even if the hosting browser has no intention of every using
some of them. So I'd want to add code to allow the browser to tell
WebKit which sizes it is interested in.

I still want to do this, but I'm going to have to reduce the priority
a little bit for now. I may come back to it in a month or so.

- a