[webkit-dev] CMake as a build system?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Apr 16 19:10:26 PDT 2010

On Apr 16, 2010, at 6:58 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:
>> FWIW, I don't have CMake installed, and I have everything a typical
>> Apple
>> developer would have and then some. I'm running SnowLeopard and the
>> latest
>> Xcode. CMake is also not installed by default on Windows and I am
>> not sure
>> if it comes with the cygwin distribution we use.
>>

> It can come with cygwin, and nothing is installed on Windows by
> default, not even the compiler...   Macports has CMake, and of course
> we have binaries at cmake.org.

We can make binaries available through a convenient download script
(possibly one that gets a source drop and builds it) if we have to. In
fact, when WebKit first switched to Subversion, for a while you had to
get your own copy to even check out the tree.

All I'm saying is that it's not *currently* installed out of the box
on Mac OS X.

>> When you say "installed", does that mean it *has* to be in some
>> system
>> location? Could it be "installed" somewhere in the WebKit build
>> tree? Our
>> scripts download certain needed tools and libraries by default, so
>> at least
>> from the WebKit POV this is not necessarily a showstopper.
>>

> It can be "installed" anywhere.   There are binaries for all marjor
> OS's on www.cmake.org.  It is setup to run from any directory, so you
> don't need root or anything to install.
>
> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html

So by "installed" we're just talking about the fact that it's an
executable, not a script?

Regards,
Maciej