[webkit-dev] CMake as a build system?

Marc-Antoine Ruel maruel at chromium.org
Fri Apr 16 19:10:16 PDT 2010

Thanks Nico for digging up the archive.

As I said in the other thread, the people at the session mostly looked about
reducing the number of build system, not forcing anyone to use any tool. If
some teams wants to switch to CMake, prefect as long as the number of build
tool reduces. Nobody seemed willing to switch to qtmake. Nobody at the
meeting advocated for CMake.

I don't have first-hand experience about CMake but from I only heard midly
negative comments. The generated xcodeproj and vcproj are far from 'native'
and from f2f discussion, at least one llvm guy isn't happy about CMake and
would rather move it off. The 'native' IDE feel was very high in our
priority list, especially in XCode in fact.

2010/4/16 Adam Treat <treat at kde.org>

> On Friday 16 April 2010 09:58:17 pm Bill Hoffman wrote:
> > > Also: how hard is the dependency on being "installed"? Is this a
> solvable
> > > problem if it turns out to be a showstopper for some folks?
> >
> > It has to be installed, if this is a show stopper, then it is a show
> > stopper.
>
> To be clear, it just has to be in the path, right?  Which I think could be
> managed ;)

I don't know if anyone really cares about the requirement of having another
tool installed on the system or not as an hinderance, I don't mind.

So in the end, if some team want to switch to CMake, just check-in stuff. :)

Not that my opinion counts at all.

--
M-A