[webkit-dev] CMake as a build system?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Apr 16 18:58:17 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I don't have CMake installed, and I have everything a typical Apple
> developer would have and then some. I'm running SnowLeopard and the latest
> Xcode. CMake is also not installed by default on Windows and I am not sure
> if it comes with the cygwin distribution we use.

It can come with cygwin, and nothing is installed on Windows by
default, not even the compiler...   Macports has CMake, and of course
we have binaries at cmake.org.

> When you say "installed", does that mean it *has* to be in some system
> location? Could it be "installed" somewhere in the WebKit build tree? Our
> scripts download certain needed tools and libraries by default, so at least
> from the WebKit POV this is not necessarily a showstopper.

It can be "installed" anywhere.   There are binaries for all marjor
OS's on www.cmake.org.  It is setup to run from any directory, so you
don't need root or anything to install.

http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html

> Also: how hard is the dependency on being "installed"? Is this a solvable
> problem if it turns out to be a showstopper for some folks?

It has to be installed, if this is a show stopper, then it is a show stopper.

> And finally, I'd still like to hear from the Chromium folks whether there
> were any other issues. This one seems fairly minor.

I would as well.  :)

-Bill