[webkit-dev] webkit-patch and SVN

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 21:49:21 PDT 2010

2010/4/15 Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org>:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:
>> Question: Do SVN users wish to have webkit-patch be
>> current-working-directory aware?
> [snip]
>> The propose change will make webkit-patch inconsistent between VCS
>> tools, but consistent with the users choice of SVN vs. Git.  Is this
>> SVN users desired behavior?
>
> I will surprise myself here and say that webkit-patch should do things
> "the SVN way" when using SVN and "the Git way" when using Git.
> Normally I am in favor of having VCS wrappers paper over the
> differences between systems, but from experience I can say that when
> using SVN I often have multiple changes in flight in a single
> checkout, whereas Git makes that very difficult.

How so? You can stage or commit single files or directories, even a
single chunk of the changes within a file if you use the interactive
add. git diff also can show changes in a single file or directory, git
log can show the changelog for single file or directory... All you
need to do is to give the file or directory on the command line,
separated with -- in case there is (possibility of) a  clash with a
symbolic commit name (tag or branch).

> Since this means you
> can't get "the SVN way" using Git, it would mean that we'd have to use
> "the Git way" when using SVN, which would remove useful functionality
> and, as Geoffrey Garen point out, make submitting via SVN
> substantially slower to boot.

Given the above, I believe it would be quite possible to make the git
part of the script cwd-aware too.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi