[webkit-dev] Join the URL hackathon (already in progress)!

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Tue Apr 13 23:17:15 PDT 2010

I think Maciej took notes, but my recollection is as follows:

1) Convert as many of the unit tests to LayoutTests as possible.
2) Land GURL in svn.webkit.org as is.
3) Convert GURL to WebKit style.
4) Make an ifdef that lets ports switch between KURL and GURL.

Once we get to this point, it will be easy to evaluate the performance
and correctness impact of switching from KURL to GURL.  Ideally, we'd
have a "bake-off" and pick the best parser based on some objective
criterion.  If KURL wins the bake-off, we should consider refactoring
KURL's parser not to depend on WebCore::String (or really any of
WebCore).  If GURL wins the bake-off, we should document (either with
comments or tests) which parts of GURL's API is needed by Chromium but
not necessarily need by other ports.

Adam