[webkit-dev] Request: Include Import Library with win32 Nightly Builds

Brian Barnes ggadwa at charter.net
Tue Apr 13 13:19:16 PDT 2010

> Hi Brian,
>
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Brian Barnes<ggadwa at charter.net>  wrote:
>
>> Not so with the win32 build.  It has the DLLs, but not the import libraries
>> (.lib) which are built when the DLLs are built and used to attach the DLL to
>> my code.  Can you folks change the script that creates these to include
>> those import libs?  It would make the win32 nightly work as a binary
>> distributions (this will put it in line with most other open-source
>> distributions like libpng of SDL.)  Right now the win32 nightly is only good
>> for updating Safari.
>>
> I think this is by design.  The license terms for Safari and WebKit
> (as built by Apple) does not permit redistribution or linking from
> external programs.
>
> -Brent

Really?  That would be really put a dent in binary distributions that
most open source projects have.  The only license I found on any of the
sites or code was the LGPL, which obviously allows this, hopefully I'm
not missing something.  Note that the only part I'm using is JSC.

I'd like to note my reason for this is to not be lazy; my project is
also free software but it's huge (a game engine and 2 full featured
editors) and anything I can do to save time is a great concern to me.

[>] Brian