[webkit-dev] Git meeting notes

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Tue Apr 13 00:10:35 PDT 2010

On Apr 12, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> One thing that wasn't mentioned at the meeting is that git doesn't seem to have the same monotonously increasing revision numbers as svn does. It will be a problem to replace REGRESSION(r12345) with REGRESSION(96c3b0300ccf16b64efc260c21c85ba9030f2e3a).

Can you clarify what you mean?  Do you mean we have tools that expect a number and not a sha or something else?

> Similarly, it would be hard to tell if a given nightly build includes changes made in a certain commit.

Each nightly would have a sha so you could list all of the sha's between the two and grep for the one you are looking for

git rev-list yesterday_sha..today_sha | grep certain_sha

Or more similar to svn would be to count the commits in the sha to get the increasing revision number.  Each daily could include this number and so you could count the number that certain_sha would be to see if it was between yesterday and today.

git rev-list sha | wc -l

-Benjamin Meyer