[webkit-dev] Announcing WebKit2

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Apr 9 15:20:15 PDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Adam Treat wrote:

> On Friday 09 April 2010 02:11:33 pm Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> the "new piece of tech" really is just a new API layer for the Mac
>> and
>> Win ports. We are interested in other people being able to reuse this
>> technology, but fundamentally, this is an extension of our existing
>> APIs.
>
> I understand this now.  I definitely didn't get this impression at
> first, but
> probably my mistake.

I think it was initially our mistake in communicating poorly. I
apologize for that, we could have done a better job of making the
scope of the work clear. We also didn't have to rush quite so much to
commit the patches - we were just eager to share this code for broader
review and input quicly.

>> It was in retrospect not a good choice of name. We hoped it would
>> be a
>> very boring choice. Think of it as WebKit/mac/async/ or something and
>> see if you might feel differently.
>
> It does throw things in a different light.  However, I still think
> it would
> have been nice to give people an opportunity to have a look and a
> little time
> for discussion before it was landed.  I lament that we have so much
> private
> development in the community although I understand the necessity at
> times.

Really our goal here was to have something sufficiently working that
it was worth showing. This project is in no way locked in or
imminently shipping - it is an early technology preview. We would
*love* to have feedback from you and other community members. Even
though the driving force is to be a new API layer for Apple's ports,
we are very interested in making the code useful for other ports if
they are interested. One thing we're looking at is how to make the API
more agnostic about basic types like strings, since at least some Gtk
folks have expressed interest in the basic technology.

Regards,
Maciej