[webkit-dev] Announcing WebKit2

Cameron Zwarich cwzwarich at webkit.org
Fri Apr 9 13:53:31 PDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:34 AM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Adam Treat <treat at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 April 2010 09:24:32 pm Darin Adler wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 2010, at 6:23 PM, Adam Treat wrote:
> > > Can someone please point to the bug report and the forum where this
> > > development was discussed by the greater WebKit community?
> >
> > The time for that discussion is now. The forum is here.
> >
> > I suggest we use this mailing list, not a bug report.
>
> Isn't that a little cart before the horse?  It is already actively being
> landed...
>
> I'd have to agree.  A new port is a maintenance burden on the entire community.  Normally we discuss such things before starting to commit them.

We seem to welcome pretty much any port that has an active maintainer.

In the past we have accepted the Chromium port despite it having a new JS engine, new DOM bindings, an overreaching catch-all #ifdef for unrelated changes, numerous layering violations, and seemingly unnecessary changes or replacements of platform-independent code. All of these problems were discussed on webkit-dev and in Bugzilla prior to Chromium landing, but they were largely ignored and still exist today.

> For example, my first question is whether we can adapt the Chromium WebKit API (or devise an API that could replace the Chromium WebKit API) since it sounds like our goals and the goals of this new API are fairly similar.  If we do the former, I'm sure we can talk about changing the name.  :-)

As it stands, there is no way for a WebKit port to opt in to Chromium's multiprocess model, and making this possible has never been a priority for the Chromium team. WebKit 2 looks a lot cleaner in this respect.

Cameron