[webkit-dev] A post-mordem of today's tree redness

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Apr 6 12:27:18 PDT 2010

On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, please do.
>>>
>>> I'm definitely not the only one reading webkit-changes and
>>> ChangeLogs.
>>
>> I agree that more informative revert ChangeLog entries would be
>> useful. My
>> preference would be to include the following:
>>
>> - revision that was reverted
>> - bugzilla bug URL from the ChangeLog of the reverted commit (in a
>> distinct
>> format from how we'd provide it if it was the bug for the rollout
>> change
>> itself)
>> - summary text from the original revert
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> - Reverted rNNNNN ("Rotate head 90 degrees clockwise")
>> <http://bugs.webkit.org/rollout-bug-num>
>>
>> Reverted bug was: <http://bugs.webkit.org/bug-that-reverted>
>
> Okiedokes.  I'll try to do that today.

By the way, just to explain why I ask for this: I often search
ChangeLogs for the history of an issue, and searching for the bug
number or obvious related text will not generally find entries where a
change was rolled out. I would have to already know that the change
was rolled out at some point, find the revision number of the original
change, and then search for ChangeLog entries mentioning that revision
number.

Regards,
Maciej