[webkit-dev] How to add a progress bar of page loading with webkit?

John Sullivan sullivan at apple.com
Mon Sep 28 06:29:01 PDT 2009

The Chrome and Safari teams have chosen not to display approximate
progress bars for user interface design reasons.

You can implement a progress bar for a WebKit-based browser by using
the -estimatedProgress method in WebView.h and the associated
notifications WebViewProgressStartedNotification,
WebViewProgressEstimateChangedNotification, and
WebViewProgressFinishedNotification.

Note that any such progress bar (in any web browser, WebKit-based or
not) is only an approximation, because as a page loads resources, it
might discover additional resources that need to be loaded, so the
page cannot know in advance how much more there is to load.

John