[webkit-dev] Runtime setting for incomplete features

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Wed Sep 23 17:24:46 PDT 2009

Following up on this, because I missed Maciej's response.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> Fair enough. But I would be against user-level preferences that add or
> remove entire APIs. Rather, the preference should affect the behavior of the
> API (possibly making it do nothing). So far the only actual user-level
> preference I'm aware of that effectively disables APIs is private browsing.
> And I think the way it works (in both Safari and Chrome, even though it is
> different) is better than it would be to make storage-related APIs disappear
> completely.

Maciej, are you saying that if I were to add a flag to disable
SharedWorkers, you'd want it to leave the constructor intact (i.e. not
remove the API) but just not create the actual thread?

That seems bad, as it means web apps can't do capability checking. It seems
better to remove the API. I'm about to add a flag for SharedWorkers
(possibly just within Chromium if I can), so I definitely want to resolve
this.