[webkit-dev] Emacs vs. WebKit coding style (was Re: Point 3 of the WebKit Style Guidelines)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Sep 22 18:24:50 PDT 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 5:45 PM, David Levin wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 1:06 PM, David Hyatt wrote:
>
> I had thought that we resolved ages ago that we would no longer be
> indenting code inside namespaces in header files, since that just
> results in the entire class declaration being pointlessly indented.
>
> This is point 3 on the page:
>
> http://webkit.org/coding/coding-style.html
>
> I'd like to reverse the Right and Wrong examples to fix this.
>
> Are there any objections to this change?  I know a few months ago,
> people agreed (notably Maciej) that there was no longer any point to
> essentially indenting the entire file's contents (when we already
> don't do this in .cpp files).
>
> I like this change (even though it's hard to make Emacs play along).
>
> Is there a way to get Emacs to auto-indent this correctly? :'(

There probably is, but it may be beyond my elisp skills. Here is my
current .emacs attempt to get something close to WebKit style (and
also to avoid putting tabs in ChangeLogs):

(defun my-c-mode-hook ()
   (setq c-basic-offset 4)
   (setq tab-width 8)
   (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
   (c-set-offset 'substatement-open 0))

(add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'my-c-mode-hook)

(defun my-change-log-mode-hook ()
   (setq tab-width 8)
   (setq indent-tabs-mode nil))

(add-hook 'change-log-mode-hook 'my-change-log-mode-hook)

Regards,
Maciej