[webkit-dev] Point 3 of the WebKit Style Guidelines (indenting code inside namespaces in headers)

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Sep 22 17:21:51 PDT 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Adam Treat wrote:

> First, by retroactively changing this rule we are thereby making a
> not insubstantial number of existing header files non-compliant.

There are lots of files in both states. I have not measured, but I
think the not-indented outnumber the indented by something like a 4 to
1 ratio.

> Second, the change requires a fix for the tools.

A recently-created tool, designed to check rules like this one.

> Third, why are we changing this? Not for consistency.

Yes, for consistency.

> Just because of the subjective opinion of a few.

Yes.

> Well, a lot of the style rules are subjective. Should we start
> taking nominations for other pieces of the style rules that could be
> changed?

All the style rules came from subjective preferences of the active
developers as we worked on the WebKit project. I see no reason to
declare that living period over now and write the rules in stone. It’s
good that we wrote the style rules down, but I consider the code a
living breathing thing, and also the style rules.

I’m open to discussing other style rules that could be changed at any
time.

For most we don’t get quick consensus like this.

You are the only one so far who has spoken out against Hyatt’s
proposed change, and your objection seems to be primarily a meta-
objection.

     -- Darin