[webkit-dev] Fixing layout tests

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sun Sep 20 10:18:48 PDT 2009

Hi webkit-dev,

One of the toughest parts of maintaining a port of WebKit is keeping
up with all the LayoutTests.  The Chromium folks have formed a
LayoutTest Task Force to drive the list of expected Chromium
LayoutTests failures to zero.  As part of that effort, I'd like to
invite other ports to participate as well.  It seems we all have a lot
of work to do:

abarth at zenque:~/git/webkit/LayoutTests/platform$ wc -l */Skipped
    5732 gtk/Skipped
      20 mac-leopard/Skipped
      46 mac-snowleopard/Skipped
      63 mac-tiger/Skipped
     110 mac/Skipped
    4853 qt/Skipped
     685 win/Skipped

In particular, I'm going to assign a high priority to reviewing any
patch that fixes an existing LayoutTest on any platform, and I would
encourage other reviewers to do the same.  If you want me to notice
your patch, here's what you should do:

1) Add the text "[LTTF]" to the beginning of the bug title.
2) Note the name of the test and the platform in the bug comments.
3) CC me on the bug.

Obviously, it will be easier for me to review patches to code that I
understand well, but if we can't find the right person to review your
patch, I'll learn the code (even if that means learning how the render
tree works).

Happy LayoutTest fixing!
Adam