[webkit-dev] Safari 64 and NSAPI out-of-process and Printing

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Sep 18 12:30:22 PDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 12:02 PM, Rudi Sherry wrote:

> I'm looking into the NSAPI interface for Safari in Snow Leopard.
>
> We have a full-frame plug-in (not embedded) that will want to be
> able to print, and more specifically, put up its own Print dialog.
>
> Can an out-of-process plug-in show a dialog?

The Apple documentation on this subject is called “WebKit Plug-In
Programming Topics”. Here’s what it has to say about windows,
including dialogs:

Avoid creating windows. The intent is for plug-ins to operate within
the browser window. Although some plug-ins have historically done so,
creating windows in your plug-in is not recommended. If you need to
maintain separate windows, you should consider starting a separate
application.

Exactly what will and will not work is a separate question. Many
things done by legacy plug-ins may still work at this time, but it
would not be good to depend on this for new development work you are
doing.

     -- Darin