[webkit-dev] Limiting slow unload handlers (Re: Back/forward cache for pages with unload handlers)

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Thu Sep 17 12:23:59 PDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 2:28 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Here's what would need to happen to let loads from unload run to
> completion:
>
> 1) Implement a way to track all entities that start loads during
> unload (all owners of ResourceHandles, say).
> 2) Add a way (perhaps via an abstract base class) for all such
> entities to release their ResourceHandle to another owner and then
> cancel themselves.
> 3) Add code after unload finishes to create an object that takes
> ownership of all these ResourceHandles, and stays alive until they
> all complete their loads (dropping results on the floor).

If there were pending loads when the user tries to quit the browser,
would we wait for each to finish or would we make the quit operation
wait on their completion?

Would the be a limit to how many pending pings could be in flight at a
given time?

Would you suggest that, as a best practice, the browser gives users
insight into this activity?

~Brady