[webkit-dev] Passing data structures through postMessage()

Darin Fisher darin at google.com
Fri Sep 11 10:54:32 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Chris Campbell wrote:
>
>  Hi All,
>>
>> I had it in mind to implement support for passing data structures
>> through postMessage() using the "structured clone" algorithm laid out
>> in the HTML5 spec:
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#posting-messages
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#safe-passing-of-structured-data
>>
>> I've had some brief discussion with Dave Levin and Drew Wilson on
>> #chromium IRC about this, and have an approach in mind that follows
>> and elaborates on their suggestions, but there are still some holes in
>> it and I'd very much like input from people familiar with this area.
>>
>> Currently, there are several postMessage() handlers (in
>> MessagePort.idl, DOMWindow.idl, DedicatedWorkerContext.idl, and
>> Worker.idl), and they all take a DOMString for the message parameter.
>>
>> The general idea is to change that message parameter from a DOMString
>> to a new AttributeIterator type that allows walking of any sort of JS
>> structure/type.  AttributeIterator would essentially be an adapter to
>> translate native V8 or JSC JavaScript objects to an agnostic interface
>> suitable for walking the structure and serializing it.  I'm thinking
>> it would look something like this:
>>
>> interface AttributeIterator {
>>   bool isUndefined();
>>   bool isNull();
>>   bool isFalse();
>>   bool isTrue();
>>   bool isNumber();
>>   String getNumber();
>>   bool isString();
>>
>>   // ... cover the other types including Date, RegExp, ImageData,
>>   // File, FileData, and FileList ...
>>
>>   // Retrieve the key for the next property (for Objects and Arrays)
>>   String nextEnumerableProperty();
>>
>>   AttributeIterator getPropertyValue(key);
>> }
>>

> Some thoughts off the cuff:
>
> I think it would be better to write custom code for doing the cloning for
> each JS engine. For one thing, turning everything into a string is not
> necessarily the most efficient way to do things. It might be possible to
> clone the object graph more directly in a threadsafe way. Also, things like
> File and ImageData fundamentally can't be turned into a string (well
> ImageData can)

What does it mean to send a File along?  Isn't that just a reference to a
file?  A handle of sorts.  It seems like that is something that can be
passed between threads easily enough.

What is the use case for sending ImageData?  It seems like it could be to
allow a worker to modify the pixels of a canvas or it could be to share a
separate copy of the data (copy-on-write).  It may be undesirable to make
the canvas have to support having its data be modified by a background
thread / background process.

-Darin