[webkit-dev] Passing data structures through postMessage()

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Thu Sep 10 17:32:48 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> This is incorrect, from the bindings point of view the type here should be
> "any", which in the JS bindings means ScriptValue.  The actual serialisation
> is by definition bindings dependent, be that JSC or ObjC.

Certainly, from a WebIDL standpoint this is correct. I'm not certain that
our current code generator will accept this (the JS bindings are quite
flexible especially if we are talking about custom attributes, but my
experience with the ObjC generated bindings are that you need to specify
concrete classes in the .idl files or else you end up with type errors at
compile time - this could obviously be changed).