[webkit-dev] Passing data structures through postMessage()

Sam Weinig sam.weinig at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:24:32 PDT 2009

> Perhaps it's not necessary to serialize to a string.  However, there
> is existing code that passes strings through and it would be nice not
> to have to change all that.  Binary image data could be text-encoded.
> That said, I'm open to binary serialization if it's not too big a
> change.
>
> "AttributeIterator" is supposed to convey that the class can be used
> to recursively iterate over the properties/attributes of JS objects
> and arrays.  (Though it can also represent primitive values.)  I'm
> open to alternative names for this class, too.
>
> --Chris

It seems like this should be as simple as having a StructuredClone object,
and two conversion methods, convertToStructuredClone() and
convertFromStructuredClone() (your name may vary).  I am not sure there is
all that much that would be worth sharing between the JSC and v8 in those
two methods, and it seems like any effort to share would probably complicate
the matter more than it is worth.

-Sam