[webkit-dev] Compiling on Tiger and running the binary on Leopard causes vm_map() to fail

Kent Hansen kent.hansen at nokia.com
Thu Sep 10 09:04:06 PDT 2009

Hi,
JavaScriptCore uses some compile-time defines to decide which flags to
pass to vm_map() and mmap(), depending on the Mac OS version. Now, if
WebKit is built and run on the same version, that's obviously fine, but
we've found that if we build on Tiger but run on Leopard, the vm_map()
call fails.
Similarly, mmap() fails if we build on Leopard but run on Tiger. This
case can be made to work by defining BUILDING_ON_TIGER even when
building on Leopard, but that doesn't feel too good...

Can/should the decision of which flags to pass be made at runtime instead?

Regards,
Kent