[webkit-dev] Stretchy Characters

Roland Steiner rolandsteiner at google.com
Tue Sep 8 22:17:43 PDT 2009

Hi Alex,

AFAIK, the approach of stacking special characters goes back to TeX, and you
even have special Unicode code points for this purpose (see
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2300.pdf), so the approach at least has
broad consensus. ^_-

You're right however, that having the right font glyphs is essential.
Furthermore, e.g. TeX's MetaFont has several glyphs for the same bracket
part in different point sizes to absolutely get the layout and optical
weight right. The difference this makes is most noticeable on the parts that
make up a (square,etc.) root symbol.

However, since these are still only a handful of code points, I wonder if it
wouldn't be safer to have a special font consisting of only those glyphs
linked with WebKit directly, so you can be sure that they are available.

Cheers,

Roland