[webkit-dev] mod_pywebsocket for testing Web Socket implementation

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Sep 7 22:18:44 PDT 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 10:00 PM, Mark Rowe wrote:

> Python starting with v2.6 has reasonable built-in support for SSL
> servers.  This is the version that ships with Mac OS X 10.6.  Mac OS
> X 10.5 ships with Python 2.5 (predating this built-in support) but
> includes pyOpenSSL.  Mac OS X 10.4 ships with Python 2.3 and does
> not include pyOpenSSL.  From what I can see, Cygwin currently has
> Python 2.5 and does not appear to support pyOpenSSL.
>
> It seems that only a small portion of the WebSockets tests would
> need to deal with SSL, while the majority of the tests would work
> fine on any platform supporting Python 2.3.  For the SSL tests it
> would be reasonable to have tests that worked out of the box on only
> some platforms, especially when those platforms are used by the
> majority of WebKit developers (Mac OS X >= 10.5 and Linux).  Doing
> this seems like a simpler approach than requiring two third-party
> Apache modules be built + configured on all platforms in order to
> run even the basic tests.

Building and installing some Apache modules doesn't seem like that big
a deal to me, if it would really make testing more practical.

However, it seems like using a premade websocket server implementation
would make some forms of testing harder. In particular, it would be
more difficult to test what happens in the face of malformed results
from the server, which is a very important part of testing.

So based on that, it probably makes more sense to do at least some of
the testing and a lower level, so we can easily test invalid server

Maciej