[webkit-dev] unwritten rules of webkit style

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Sep 2 17:20:51 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> I’ve noticed a couple of different ways of writing subsequent
> copyright
> lines, e.g.:
>
>  Copyright (C) 2005 Somebody <email>
>                2006, 2007 Somebody Else <email>
>
>http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/svg/SVGSVGElement.cpp
>
> and:
>
>  Copyright (C) 2005 Somebody <email>
>  Copyright (C) 2006, 2007 Somebody Else <email>
>
>http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/svg/SVGFilterElement.cpp

I think the second format is the one we should use.

The pattern in KHTML and other KDE-original code was to use the first
format.

But when we started adding Apple copyright notices we didn’t want to
just have years listed without the word Copyright, so the lines for
Apple were done in something more like the latter format. We didn’t
disturb the older copyright lines. Looking in the source code I see
that even some of the Apple copyright notices used the first format,
which is not what we were trying to do.

A file like this show that history a bit more clearly: <http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/html/HTMLInputElement.cpp
 >.

     -- Darin