[webkit-dev] Why are PassRefPtr<>s used as function parameters?

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Thu Oct 29 16:20:23 PDT 2009

My thinking is that we should be consistent.  And given that passing a raw
pointer is equal to or faster than passing a PassRefPtr it seems to me that
we should just do that whenever ownership isn't being transfered.  Note that
this is what's done in the majority of cases I've seen and it's what the
RefPtr doc recommends, IIRC.

I don't see why the distinction between a callee simply using an object or
adopting it for future use is terribly interesting to the caller.