[webkit-dev] Javascript and WebCore

Alexander Cohen naftaly at me.com
Sun Oct 25 14:36:46 PDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2009, at 2:01 PM, Alexander Cohen wrote:
>

>> In the events of a tag, i needed to add checks to see what type of
>> script was being called. A lot if not all of the time, we will
>> usually find a "javascript:" in the event code so i can also look
>> there for my defined scripting language and call into the right code.
>
> Attribute event listeners do not usually have "javascript:" in them.
> Here is an example from Google's home page:
> (this) class=gb1>Images</a>
> Notice that the onclick value doesn't start with javascript:. You
> are probably thinking of javascript: URLs in links, like this:

> You could invent a new URL scheme that runs your scripting language
> instead of JavaScript, but I don't think there is anything you can
> do about onclick handlers, unless you're willing to break
> compatibility with existing Web content.

You're right. But this does give an opportunity for my scripting
language to get through since executing mine as javascript will
probably result in an error. I can definitely catch that and check for
another language.

Just by curiosity, would it be bad to do something like this (notice
the "newscriptinglang:" in the onload ):

onclick=newscriptinglang:gbar.qs(this) class=gb1>Images</a

thx

AC