[webkit-dev] virtual functions in ChromeClient and other clients

Yong Li yong.li at torchmobile.com
Thu Oct 22 12:20:33 PDT 2009

Hi All,

ChromeClient and other clients defined in webkit are using a lot of WebCore objects. So it seems impossible to provide a ChromeClient from another binary other than webkit itself. In other words, ChromeClient is almost always implemented in a static lib that's linked with WebCore together.

If that's true, why do we need those "virtual" functions? One reason might be for this case:

class WebPage: public ChromeClient, public EditorClient, public ..... {
};

But I see most ports implement these clients with single classes. If we can make this mandatory, then we can remove these "virtual" words from these client interface, and then the compilers could make those functions "inline" whenever suitable. I guess this could boost performance a little bit.

Best regards,

Yong Li