[webkit-dev] Selection highlight painting ("gaps"?)

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon Oct 19 13:57:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Pam Greene <pam at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think there is a good use case for copying a selection of HTML from any
>>> web page and pasting that into the rich text editor of a web mail program.
>>>

>>  I agree, but that case does not degrade badly when you only copy the
>> text, whereas if there is any case where you _don't_ want to copy the images
>> etc., the current behavior makes those use cases impossible.
>>

> I don't follow this argument. If I want the text, tables, images, etc.,
> then if "copy" only grabs the text, what I want is impossible. If I only
> want the text, at least I can remove the other stuff after pasting:
> inconvenient, but possible. I must not understand what you're describing.

No, you understand things OK.  My prescription is based on not having a use
case for copying the complete rich contents of non-editable areas.  If you
in fact need to do that, then you need our current behavior.  It just makes
the opposite use case extraordinarily inconvenient, and my claim is that the
opposite use case is the one that actually comes up frequently.  (For
example, I copy text in a web page to send to people or paste into other
documents all the time, but I can't recall the last time I wanted to copy
the web page as a web page into my clipboard -- the few times I've wanted
the complete content, I've wanted to "Save As Web Page, Complete".)

PK