[webkit-dev] Text Input does not work running WebKit/GTK+/Directfb

mike999 mikeklein at insightbb.com
Mon Oct 5 07:26:50 PDT 2009

I am having a problem running Webkit.  I downloaded a version (38297) several
months ago, and got it building and running on Ubuntu Linux.  I have also
ported it to run on a PPC platform, using GTK+ and DirectFB on my PPC
hardware  However, when I run my port on the PPC hardware, I see a couple
unexpected behaviours.  I have spend several days trying to track down the
root cause, but not luck yet.

I am running GtkLauncher demo program.

Here is a summary of what I see

1. Text input works if I enter text in, for example, the URL field of the
browser.
2. When I enter text in a HTML Text Input Element, it does not show up
3. Any initial value that is specified for a HTML Text Input Element does
not appear.

I have seen others post problems like this, but no conclusive indication of
what the problem was, or more importantly how to find what the problem is.

I think one person indicated that ICU was not built correctly.  I think my
ICU is ok, so how do I prove otherwise.

Finally, I do see the input events getting dispatched into
WebCore::EventTargetNode::dispatchEvent

- Mike