[webkit-dev] Limiting slow unload handlers (Re: Back/forward cache for pages with unload handlers)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Oct 14 19:53:28 PDT 2009

On Oct 14, 2009, at 6:43 PM, John Abd-El-Malek wrote:

> To resurrect this thread.  I'm looking in implementing some of the
> methods that we discussed so that web developers have no excuse in
> simulating sleeps in unload handlers.

> -Image trick (image loads started from unload handlers outlive the
> page): simple, maintains comparability with IE and existing sites.
> however a little inelegant and requires JavaScript.

> Do we have agreement on proceeding with implementing the Image based
> approach?

Yes, I think we should let image loads from unload handlers run to
completion. I don't see much downside, and the compatibility with IE
behavior is pretty compelling.

The other ideas you mentioned don't seem as good. Making a new API or
a new XHR flag would be WebKit-specific and thus inferior to the Image
thing. And I think <a ping>, though it may have its uses, does not
apply to this use case. Dynamically creating an <a> element and
sending it a fake click event is rather awkward. And navigations
initiated from the unload handler do not actually happen. It would be
weird to special-case things so that the ping is sent anyway, even
though the navigation does not go through. Let's reserve <a ping> for
hyperlink auditing and not bend it to the purpose of page close
auditing.

Regards,
Maciej