[webkit-dev] Runtime setting for incomplete features

Sam Weinig sam.weinig at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:20:46 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Drew Wilson <atwilson at google.com> wrote:

I'm surprised to see these objections coming up now, weeks after the
> original discussion, and only after my patch has landed in the tree.

Sorry, I seemed to have missed that thread. I did however file a bug as soon
as the first runtime switch went in.

> That said, I agree that in an ideal world, we'd hide window.audio, shared
> workers, notifications, local storage, databases, session storage and any
> other runtime/platform-disabled API from enumerations - I just agree with
> Maciej that this isn't a hugely important issue, since these features are
> only runtime-disabled while under development and so not widely available
> anyway.

I obviously disagree with Maciej on this. I think it is bad to break
developers expectations for feature detection.

> Regardless, I don't think we should rush out to roll all of those features
> out of the tree, and I certainly don't think we should be singling out
> SharedWorkers or WebSockets

I don't mean to single out SharedWorkers or WebSockets, but I don't see any
others using the same technique (barring window.Audio, which I don't think
is the same thing, but should non-the less be fixed).  But, as we have many
developers using the nightlies, I think this should be handled with some
speed.

-Sam