[webkit-dev] Purging as much memory as possible

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Fri Oct 2 15:23:02 PDT 2009

> Live items cannot be removed from the cache.
>
> Yeah, I think that is what I'm seeing.
>
> Assume the page is not being painted (e.g. the window is
> minimized).  Is there a way to turn the "live" items into dead ones
> so they can be flushed?  Obviously the instant we repaint we will
> have to obtain these again.

It's not just repainting that might force you to access a live
resource. For example, JavaScript might access the resource.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "obtain these again". You'd need a
mechanism to flush a resource to disk and then reload it on demand. Of
course, then you've created the very paging you're trying to avoid.
So, at first glance, I don't think that's a good idea. But maybe I'm
missing something.

Geoff