[webkit-dev] Skipping Flakey Tests

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Thu Oct 1 11:58:10 PDT 2009

I agree with Darin.  I don't think that this is a good example of
where skipping would be useful.

I think more you're identifying that there is a test hierarchy problem
here.  Chromium really wants to base its tests off of some base "win"
implementation, and then "win-apple", "win-chromium", "win-cairo"
results could derive from that, similar to how "mac" and
"mac-leopard", "mac-tiger", "mac-snowleopard" work.

> I think we should skip only tests that endanger the testing strategy because
> they are super-slow, crash, or adversely affect other tests in some way.

Back to the original topic:  I do however see flakey tests as
"endangering our testing strategy" because they provide false
negatives, and greatly reduce the value of the layout tests and things
which run the layout tests, like the buildbots or the commit-bot.

I also agree with Darin's earlier comment that WebKit needs something
like Chromium's multiple-expected results support so that we can
continue to run flakey tests, even if they're flakey instead of having
to resort to skipping them.  But for now, skipping is the best we
have, and I still encourage us to use it when necessary instead of
leaving layout tests flakey. :)

-eric