[webkit-dev] Skipping Flakey Tests

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Thu Oct 1 11:41:40 PDT 2009

I wanted to re-open this discussion with some real-world feedback.
In this case, there was a failure in one of the layout tests on the windows
platform, so following the advice below, aroben correctly checked in an
update to the test expectations instead of skipping the tests.

Downstream, this busted the Chromium tests, because that failure was not
happening in Chromium, and now our correct test output doesn't match the
incorrect test output that's been codified in the test expecations. We can
certainly manage this downstream by rebaselining the test and managing a
custom chromium test expectation, but that's a pain and is somewhat fragile
as it requires maintenance every time someone adds a new test case to the
test.

I'd really like to suggest that we skip broken tests rather than codify
their breakages in the expectations file. Perhaps we'd make exceptions to
this rule for tests that have a bunch of working test cases (in which case
there's value in running the other test cases instead of skipping the entire
test). But in general it's less work for everyone just to skip broken tests.

I don't have an opinion about flakey tests, but flat-out-busted tests should
get skipped. Any thoughts/objections?

-atw