[webkit-dev] GlobalScript in WebKit

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Mon Nov 30 18:16:48 PST 2009

Following up, I think this highlights the distinct set of use cases that
shared workers and shared script address:

SharedWorkers are a great platform for when you have a single database that
is shared across multiple instances of your web app, and you want to
coordinate updates to that database. I can imagine sharing a single
connection to the server, etc via SharedWorkers.

SharedScripts are a good platform for when you want to share data/code (for
example, the immense body of Javascript used to implement the Gmail UI)
across multiple windows. I can't speak to whether passing a hidden iframe
between windows as was suggested in the other thread would address this use
case sufficiently.

-atw