[webkit-dev] GlobalScript in WebKit

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Nov 30 18:08:11 PST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 3:43 PM, Dmitry Titov wrote:

> I don't think it's correct to say that SharedWorkers are not useful
> and "we need a SharedScript instead". They are different things and
> can address different use cases. For example, SharedWorker is great
> to make sure there is only one 'app instance' running - exactly
> because it is shared inter-process, it can be used as a "inter-
> process synchronization primitive" to control how many app instances
> are opened. SharedScript is a container for data and code shared
> between pages that comprise a "web application" and normally run in
> the same process. As in native apps, whether or not multiple
> instances of the app can run at the same time depends on the author
> of the app, and can be done either way.

Are there any Web apps at Google or elsewhere currently using
SharedWorker? Would any of them still use it if they could switch to
SharedScript? Has any app team specifically requested support for
*both* SharedWorker *and* SharedScript? (Serious questions, since the
justification for SharedScript is largely based on Web developer
feedback.)

Note: if SharedScript was really globally shared it could be used to
implement shared workers - simply have the SharedScript manage the per-
app Workers.

Regards,
Maciej