[webkit-dev] GlobalScript in WebKit

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Nov 30 17:09:59 PST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> To be fair, app developers in general want to do everything
> synchronously but we (in standards land) have pushed back very hard
> because software research has shown that such interfaces are very
> difficult (if not impossible) to parallelize.  That's why
> SharedScript sidesteps the issue by saying there should be no
> parallelism.  Which really is a step backwards.

Now that I've heard more about it, it seems like SharedScript gives
the worst of both worlds by encouraging synchronous coding but
potentially still resulting in unexpected parallelism. It seems like
for correctness you'd have to write nearly the exact same multiple-
instance anti-collision code in your SharedScript that you would in
each main document if you didn't have SharedScript.

Regards,
Maciej