[webkit-dev] GlobalScript in WebKit

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Mon Nov 30 16:46:49 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> The pushback on SharedWorkers at Google is because Google teams don't want
> to rewrite their apps to work with workers -- SharedScript lets them
> handle some of the cases SharedWorkers would get them, without having to
> rewrite as much code.

I have to step in and disagree here - the problem is not that Google teams
don't want to rewrite their apps to work with workers - the problem is that
there are fundamentally things that you *must* do synchronously within the
execution context of a page and SharedWorkers doesn't let you do that.

If you have a mouse click handler and you want to take some sort of
synchronous action (invoke preventDefault(), disable UI, display other UI,
etc), SharedWorkers doesn't help you there. Javascript code that displays
and manipulates DOM elements can't live in a shared worker.

I think that SharedWorkers are a really important tool, and they solve a
bunch of problems, but we should be realists and admit that they don't solve
all of them, and should not characterize the proponents of SharedScript as
somehow just being unwilling to cowboy up and rewrite their apps.