[webkit-dev] GlobalScript in WebKit

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon Nov 30 13:55:08 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> My impression from WHATWG and from TPAC is that the web standards community
> and other browser implementors don't really buy into the value of this
> feature, so I think there's good odds we would end up in the orphan
> situation.

It seems like the concern is not in trying the feature, but in being unable
to remove it if it doesn't pan out.  I too am concerned about this case.

To me, the right response to this concern is not to ban implementation but
to try and determine how we can guarantee removal/modification if this
doesn't prove to be effective.  And to do that it seems like we have to
guarantee that we won't have consumers who depend on this feature that we're
forced to support.

I agree with Dave Hyatt that perhaps the best way of minimizing risk in
these cases is to agree that this will not be enabled in stable releases of
browsers until we have enough feedback for the broader community to make
more final decisions.  Hopefully this will prevent web authors from relying
on the feature's availability and yet still allow interested parties to run
what tests they need.

PK