[webkit-dev] GlobalScript in WebKit

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Mon Nov 30 13:31:52 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> On 30.11.2009, at 9:55, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
>
>  If we really want to move the Web platform forward, we can't afford a
>> feedback
>> cycle this long.
>>

> Per <http://webkit.org/projects/goals.html>, it doesn't seem that we want
> this at all, much less "really want".

You're twisting words.  We (everyone working on WebKit) do "really want" to
move the web platform forward, it's just that we don't always agree how best
to do that.

First of all, 2 major points:  There are plenty of experiments that have
been done in the WebKit code base that haven't been agreed upon in standards
bodies or on webkit-dev before hand, and we should have a high standard for
the experiments done and should only do them when we do think there's a
strong possibility of a standardized future.  In this case, the idea was
floated around both standards bodies and webkit-dev.  The response we got
from the standards mailing list was some skepticism but a "someone should
experiment with this and see how useful it is" type response.

There are a lot of people inside Google that have a lot of experience with
web standards, browsers, and web apps that seem to think this is useful and
worth the effort to experiment with it.  Some of these people are even
WebKit reviewers and are volunteering to take on the burden of implementing
the experiment.

If that's not enough, then I'd say we need to come up with some formal
criteria on what types of non-standard experiments are OK and what aren't.