[webkit-dev] innerStaticHTML

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Nov 25 14:01:56 PST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Michal Zalewski wrote:

>> The other way to skin this cat, by the way, is to implement the
>> seamless attribute on iframes.  That gives you a similar sort of
>> design using the @sandbox attribute and solves many of your above
>> concerns, e.g. by creating a new namespace for @ids.  Maybe we should
>> try that first or in parallel?
>
> I would think that in practice, IFRAMEs would, at least
> psychologically, be significantly less useful to web app developers.
>
> This is due to the fact that frames are conceptually more difficult to
> properly position and size to accommodate any dynamically inserted
> text;

Seamless iframes would address this first problem by participating in
the layout of the containing page.

> are more cumbersome to pre-populate with data on server-side
> (extra HTTP roundtrips or opaque data: URLs). Also, are renderer
> implementations actually ready to handle hundreds of seamless IFRAMEs
> on a page with the performance footprint not exceeding that of spans
> and divs?

But not these last two problems (though I think you can still
document.write() into a sandboxed seamless iframe, making it not much
less convenient than the staticInnerHTML solution).

Regards,
Maciej