[webkit-dev] Why are some layout tests renamed with a suffix of -disabled?

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Wed Nov 25 10:38:15 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Dan Bernstein <mitz at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2009, at 9:55 AM, Darin Fisher wrote:
>
> > Why are some layout tests renamed with a suffix of -disabled?  Why aren't
> such tests simply added to the skipped list?  Is -disabled simply the old
> way?
>
> Usually a test is disabled, with a bug filed to re-enable it, when a WebKit
> bug makes it impossible to run the test (e.g. it crashes DumpRenderTree) or
> makes the test produce different results on each run (this can also be a bug
> in the test). The skipped lists are platform-specific, so they are not a
> good way to deal with such situations.

My concern is that some tests may pass on some ports but not others.  If the
tests are -disabled, then it prevents them from being run on ports where the
tests function properly.  Since skipped lists prevent the test from being
executed, doesn't it solve the problem of disabling a test for ports that
can't handle it?  What am I missing? :-)

-Darin