[webkit-dev] Making browsers faster: Resource Packages

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Nov 18 00:00:39 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Steve Souders <steve at souders.org> wrote:

>  I like the option of putting the manifest in the HTML. That was the main
> suggestion I was going to make. You don't *have* to do it, but if you really
> care about performance you could choose to do it.
>
> James mentions: "The page-specific resources end up getting blocked behind
> all of the manifest downloads."
>
> I would expect that if I have:
>     <script src="a.js"></script>
>     <script src="b.js"></script>
>     <link rel="resource-package" type="application/zip"
> href="site-resources.zip" />
>
> The browser should start downloading a.js and b.js before
> site-resources.zip. Therefore, as a developer, if I have page-specific
> resources, I have some ability to get those downloading before the
> manifest-blocking issue of resource packages.

I'm not totally clear on how this works today, so this might be groundless,
but doesn't this present a potential problem?  a.js gets included early in
the page, the browser finishes loading it, it starts getting used, and then
the browser encounters a resource bundle that contains a different a.js.

I can also imagine scripts doing a document.write that adds a link to a
resource bundle, causing similar potential issues with various
already-loaded resources.

PK