[webkit-dev] Making browsers faster: Resource Packages

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Tue Nov 17 15:30:33 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM, James Robinson <jamesr at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:00 PM, James Robinson <jamesr at google.com>
> wrote:
> >> It seems like a browser will have to essentially stop rendering until
> >> it has finished downloading the entire .zip and examined it.
> >
> > I think mitigating this is why there are optional manifests.  I agree
> that
> > if there's no manifest, this is really, really painful.  I think
> manifests
> > should be made mandatory.
> > PK
>
> Do you mean external manifests?  Either way, the browser cannot start
> a download for any external resource until it downloads and parses out
> the manifest.txt for every resource bundle seen in the page so far.

Well, it can start the downloads, but it might have to throw them away, and
it definitely can't actually make use of their contents.  In this way it's a
bit like the current implementation of optimistic parallel script fetching.

> Whether it is pulling the manifest out of a .zip file or as a .txt by
> itself doesn't matter much, it's still an extra HTTP round-trip before
> any content can be downloaded (including content that is not bundled
> at all).

True.  It's just not a delay until the .zip file has completed its download.

I agree that even with a manifest, this is suboptimal.

I think the decision to incorporate this in Fx 3.7 may be premature.

PK