[webkit-dev] Staging WebSocket protocol deployment

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Nov 17 15:28:24 PST 2009

On Nov 15, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>> Does the IETF WG have a timeline?  My understanding is that IETF WG
>> take at least a year to do anything.
>
> Here's the timeline for the HyBi WG:
>
> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki/HyBi
>
> Goals and Milestones:
> ---------------------
> Mar-2010:  WGLC on the Design Space characterization (Informational)
> May-2010:  WGLC on Requirements document on Short term solution
> Jul-2010:  WGLC on Requirements document on Long term solution
> Nov-2010:  Requirements to IESG
> Mar-2011:  WGLC on Short term solution improvements
> Nov-2011:  WGLC on Long term solution protocol
>
> I read this as one year for requirements and another year for a
> protocol assuming the WG stays on schedule.

With regards to timeline: I don't think it is sensible to wait for the
IETF to get through the full process all the way to an RFC,
particularly if that process takes multiple years. After all, we don't
do that for features of HTML5 itself. I think it would be reasonable
to give WebSocket 6 months or so in some experimental form, and then
declare it ready for prime time if no nasty surprises come up, even if
the IETF is still wrapped in beaurocracy.

I see also that Mozilla is embarking on a WebSocket implementation.

Given these considerations, I am leaning towards option (3) from my
recent email, which is to use the regular URI schemes and issue a
public warning, or option (4) (support both prefixed and unprefixed).
Further opinions welcome.

Regards,
Maciej