[webkit-dev] Making browsers faster: Resource Packages

Simon Fraser simon.fraser at apple.com
Tue Nov 17 15:12:22 PST 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:00 PM, James Robinson <jamesr at google.com>
> wrote:
> It seems like a browser will have to essentially stop rendering until
> it has finished downloading the entire .zip and examined it.
>
> I think mitigating this is why there are optional manifests.  I
> agree that if there's no manifest, this is really, really painful.
> I think manifests should be made mandatory.

If you require a manifest, why not pick an archive format where
there's a TOC which is guaranteed to be at the head of the file, which
the browser can parse without having to wait for the entire file to
download?

In my not very extensive reading of pages on the zip format, it
appears that the Central Directory is always at the end of the file,
which is not very friendly to progressive download of these files.

Simon